[Pythonmac-SIG] My stab at a new page

Tom Pollard tomp at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 10 02:25:36 CET 2006

On Feb 9, 2006, at 6:56 PM, Bill Janssen wrote:
>> If we make
>> the proposed PATH change script to the installer, we can ignore the
>> system Python just as easily as we could if it wasn't there at all.
>
> It is extremely difficult (almost impossible) to make such scripts
> work properly on Unix, with the variety of shells and environments
> that people use.

Well, there are really only two flavors of shell - csh and sh.   I'm
sure it would be quite possible to create a post-install script that
did the right thing for 98% of the people who used it.  Those lost 2%
are Unix geeks who can easily make the required changes by hand, with
a bit of minimal documentation.

Tom