[Pythonmac-SIG] My stab at a new page

I. Vinogradov vinogri at mcmaster.ca
Thu Feb 9 23:49:27 CET 2006

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 13:33:17 -0800
 Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:
<snip>
> It's the job of Fink or DarwinPorts to sustain their Python
>  communities.  There are already too many choices, I'd really like to
>  avoid even more confusion.

Perhaps this could be mentioned on the Bill's page to the effect that
it's discouraged to use those sources.

> The way that Python is used in such an environment is closer to how
>  it is used on a Linux or BSD distribution, given that it has managed
>  packages and is only usable from a shell.
<snip>

They are convinient in a sense that they provide one source for all the
extensions for mac. IIRC both are mentioned on SciPy installation
instructions. Nevermind that on Tiger SciPy install is a whole ugly can
of worms.

Cutting down on number of standards is a good thing in this case.

Regards, Ivan.