[Pythonmac-SIG] My stab at a new page

Rodney Somerstein rodneys at io.com
Thu Feb 9 21:09:28 CET 2006

At 8:29 PM -0800 2/8/06, Bill Janssen wrote:
>I've made up a sample page, at
>http://bill.janssen.org/new-macpython-page.html.
>
>This is the kind of thing I'd like to see replace the page at
>http://www.python.org/download/download_mac.html.

Bill,

As the sort of somewhat sophisticated novice python developer (how is
that for a contradiction of terms?) that you folks seem to be
targeting, I really like this page. It could use a little bit of
cleaning up, such as possibly describing why to use IDLE, how using a
newer version of Python can help the user, etc. It is a great start.

I look forward to seeing something as straightforward as this
replacing the current page.

Now, what I really want to see added is something that explains how I
can write a program in Python on the Mac and create standalone
applications that can run on someone else's computer without them
having to install anything else. The descriptions of packaging for
Python that I have read here are fairly arcane and not at all
straightforward for new developers. As much as I like the general
idea of Python, this is the one thing that seems to make the language
not ready for end-user applications.

It might seem that this isn't Mac specific. But, since the packaging
of Python apps on the Mac seems to be different than on other
platforms, having a link to it from the main page would be a useful
thing. It could certainly be far down the page rather than right at
the beginning. Even better would be a discussion of how to move such
apps to other operating systems as well. Python may be more elegant
than Java, but I can easily give someone a Java app to run on their
computer. I'm not confident I could do this for much beyond
helloworld with Python and expect it to run since there wouldn't
likely be the libraries that I need.

Thanks,

-Rodney