[Pythonmac-SIG] My stab at a new page

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Feb 9 20:48:43 CET 2006

On Feb 9, 2006, at 11:32 AM, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> 4. Maintainer: does Python on the Mac even have an official maintainer
> anymore? Has Jack Jansen resigned? Is it "maintainer-by-committee"? I
> can't help but think this is part of the reason Python seems adrift
> as a
> Mac development platform: the group is having a hard time even
> agreeing
> on who it's serving (hard-core developers? newbies?). The outstanding
> technical support we are getting from the experts such as Bob, for
> instance in terms of building universal binaries, is getting the most
> essential daily tasks done; but this isn't the same as having a
> leadership focus to actually make strategic decisions about Python on
> the Mac platform. I mention this because I think it's important to
> state
> accurately how Python on the Mac is maintained: by a loose group of
> experts rather than a dedicated maintainer. That will help people know
> what to expect.

Python does not currently have an official Mac maintainer.

Jack hasn't officially resigned, but he has been "too busy" for
probably a few years now.  I'm too busy to do real maintenance.
Nobody else has stepped up.

It's currently somewhat of a "maintainer-by-necessity".  The people
doing the maintenance are mostly just Ronald and I, with bits and
pieces filled by other members of the Python development community
that happen to use Mac OS X as well.  The people currently doing
maintenance tasks are doing it mostly because they need it done for
their own work.  Once it's fixed enough for them to use, it sits and
waits until there's another problem.

Clearly the current distribution and the people responsible for it
aren't going very far to serve newbies...