[Pythonmac-SIG] a beginner's list

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Feb 9 03:58:21 CET 2006

On Feb 8, 2006, at 6:36 PM, Bill Janssen wrote:

> Bob Ippolito writes:
>> You're a UNIX user, you already know what you are doing, you don't
>> count.
>>
>> Wrong.
>
> Wrong what?  Are you saying that saying that I don't count is wrong?

That's out of context.  I was replying to your statements in order.
This one in particular:

"""
> (all?) of my Python programs continue to work against /usr/bin/python.
> If apps don't, that seems to me to be a problem with the current state
> of Python apps, not with Python.
"""

And the qualification for "Wrong" was:
Extensions are extensions and they target a specific version of
Python.  There's nothing that can be done about that; the ABI changes.

>> I'd have to guess that at least 95% of user-facing Python-
>> based applications on Mac OS X are going to need at least one
>> extension that doesn't ship with OS X.
>
> I think here you are talking about a Mac app bundle, right?  I think
> that's probably right.

I'm talking about most user-facing applications, app bundles or
otherwise.  Do you really develop all of your applications using only
stdin, stdout, sockets, and the stdlib?  No SciPy, databases, PIL,
etc?  I can't think of a single moderately popular Python application
that doesn't require at least one extension.

I write very few applications that don't at least talk to a database,
but maybe I'm missing something.