[Pythonmac-SIG] a beginner's list

Kevin Ollivier kevino at theolliviers.com
Wed Feb 8 23:11:29 CET 2006

On Feb 8, 2006, at 1:34 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

[snip]

>> It's a bit confusing to talk as if needing new extensions ==
>> breakage. (You know you're a geek when it's second nature to write
>> equality tests like this. ;-) I remember Python 2.1 and I've had to
>> upgrade several times, and I never thought of re-installing my
>> extensions as 'fixing what broke'. I called it 'upgrading'. Some
>> people may see initially see what appears to be broken scripts, but
>> unfortunately that would just be because they aren't aware of issues
>> that may occur when upgrading their Python install. I don't think the
>> proper solution is to keep them from upgrading; we just need to build
>> awareness that a new Python major version means new extensions.
>
> We're talking about upgrading Mac OS X, which implicitly upgrades
> Python and obsoletes all of your extensions.  I'd call that breaking.

As does just explicitly upgrading your Python. I don't see why it's
breaking if you install Leopard, but upgrading if you install
MacPython 2.4 from pythonmac.org. Either way, your 2.3 extensions
don't work and you have to start from scratch. And either way, if you
thought things would "just work" you're in for a rude awakening.

So what's the difference?

Kevin