[Pythonmac-SIG] a beginner's list

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Feb 8 20:00:26 CET 2006

On Feb 8, 2006, at 10:44 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 8-feb-2006, at 10:49, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>

>> Given these caveats and limited resources, the vendor Python is
>> absolutely irrelevant as far as I am concerned.  If someone wants to
>> deal with separate support and documentation for what ships with Mac
>> OS X 10.3, Mac OS X 10.4, and Mac OS X 10.5 then have fun, but I am
>> NOT interested in that.
>
> This is a very good reason for not pointing newbies to the system
> python
> on pythonmac.org: unless anyone steps up to *seriously* support the
> system python there won't be properly packages extension packages for
> the system python.
>
> I do support system python for PyObjC, but even there it is mostly
> "lets check if it still works" around release time. For day-to-day
> work
> I'm using a framework installation of Python 2.4.

I "support" the system Python 2.3 for what I develop also, with the
same rigor that you do.  Before doing a release, I'll python2.3
setup.py test (or whatever is appropriate) and if no red flags come
up it's out the door.  I do not do any real testing with anything but
a framework build of Python 2.4 on Mac OS X 10.4.

This is probably more harm than help though, because it gives people
less reason to use a supported distribution.  Perhaps I'll stop
bothering with Python 2.3 altogether.