[Pythonmac-SIG] a beginner's list

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 8 08:07:35 CET 2006

Chris Porter wrote:
> And here, Mac comes with Python! Very nice.
> That shouldn't be downplayed. All I needed was the Python that was already
> installed, plus a couple added things. (I needed Python to talk to MySQL, and
> that I had to install MySQL, so there was likely no native ability to do so on
> the Mac I've got.)

This is my point. You couldn't actually get anything done without
downloading and installing _something_. Once you're doing that, it would
have made very little difference if you had downloaded and installed a
new version of Python as well.

However, what would have made a difference is whether or not a package
for the MySQL lib were easily available or not. That's why whatever the
MacPython community endorses and documents should be a version with as
broad package support as possible. I think that's 2.4.*, rather than the
  Apple supplied python.

In addition, if you have your code running just fine and dandy under
Apple's python, then you upgrade to 10.5, chances are that your app will
no longer work, as Apple is likely to yank their python out from under
you. If it were running with a user-installed Python, chances are it
would keep working.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax