[Pythonmac-SIG] pkg_resources and Mac OS X compatibility

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Feb 7 21:42:33 CET 2006

At 11:48 AM 2/7/2006 -0800, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>On Feb 7, 2006, at 5:37 AM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>I've implemented a similar - but different - patch.  Yours causes
>>setuptools' tests to fail on non-Mac platforms, including non-Mac
>>darwin.
>
>Could you explain how?  I don't see it.  The condition is::
>
>         if m is not None and sys.platform == "darwin":

Note that that's because I added the "darwin" check; it wasn't in your
original patch.

>How does that fail on pure Darwin?  The condition should be False
>because m has to be None at that point and the branch shouldn't happen.

You're making the assumption that platform compatibility checks between Mac
OS X version strings only happen when you're *running* on Mac OS X, but the
test suite contains tests for the platform compatibility checking code that
runs on all platforms.  Thus, the "m is not None" condition can apply
regardless of platform, at least for test purposes.