[Pythonmac-SIG] install again?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Feb 7 05:24:34 CET 2006

On Feb 6, 2006, at 5:18 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:

> lanceboyle at qwest.net wrote:
>> I agree pretty much completely with Charles Harman, Bill Janssen, and
>> others.
>
> So do I, however....

Who doesn't?  I want world peace too ;)

> This is Open Source software! Which doesn't mean that it can't be
> great
> in every way, but it does mean that it is developed for different
> reasons than commercial software, and it will have different features.
>
> All of us that contribute to the MacPython community have other jobs,
> and are only contributing what we can out of the goodness of our
> hearts,
> essentially. The reason much open source software is short on easy
> installers and documentation for newbies is that the people capable of
> developing those things don't need them.

Precisely.  I do what I do primarily for my own benefit, but I go the
extra mile or two to help other people get along.  Making everything
perfect and easy for everyone is a trip across the globe, though, and
I just don't have that kind of vacation time.

>> This
>> requires letting go of your ego and imagining what the world looks
>> like from their viewpoint.
>
> No, it doesn't. It means taking our own precious time to make
> something
> for someone else, just to be nice. That's asking a LOT

I'll tell you what: I'll drop the ego and get a new pair of glasses
in exchange for five or six million dollars.. that'll let me put my
company on hold while I placate the needs of the MacPython community.

>> You are making end-user software.
>
> No, we're not. Most of the Python, MacPython, SciPy etc. community is
> making software for ourselves to use. Other end users are a nice
> bonus.

If "end-user" means "me" then yes.  Otherwise, no.

>> Python with a good Mac-way IDE has so much potential to reach the
>> same usability as THINK Pascal did in 1984.
>
> Yes, it does, but it won't be built until someone who is capable of
> building it wants it enough to put the time it. I suspect that that
> will
> only happen if someone decides to try to make money from it.

Maybe when I retire in 20 years :)