[Pythonmac-SIG] a beginner's list

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Tue Feb 7 02:56:03 CET 2006

This is a little separate from my previous message, though it speaks
to question #2 in that message.

Somebody who comes idly to the idea of programming in Python, and
finds the pythonmac page, will be happy if the result is an
afternoon's work that ends in a "hello world," possibly in a window.
Using my own arbitrary preferences, that would entail:

1. downloading & installing Bob's framework
2. downloading & installing TigerPython24Fix
3. adding /usr/local/bin to the PATH
4. downloading & installing wxPython
5. downloading & installing [fill in name of IDE]
6. starting to browse how-to-program sites and writing some bits

Have I forgotten anything? Is anything here unnecessary? Is it
possible (I guess this is a question for Bob, which he may have
answered 237 times already--sorry) to make 2 and 3 automatic or semi-
automatic parts of 1?

Charles