[Pythonmac-SIG] New Page, first proposal

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Tue Feb 7 02:45:20 CET 2006

OK, here's the first donkey -- please step up to the line & fire when
ready.

The project is to build a new front page for pythonmac.org that will
serve as a welcome and introduction for anyone who wants to write
Python programs on the Mac. (An assumption behind this is that the
site will come up quickly in any curious person's search for
information on the topic, which in turn assumes a link from
python.org, and also I hope a prominent one slapped onto the top of
the MacPython site.)

For a page title that covers the ground broadly and accurately, I
propose
		Python on the Mac
Problems with that? Better suggestions?

Four stages in the project are foreseeable:
	1. Establish the basic organization of the page
	2. Collect the essential technical data, and probably also less
essential materials
		to be relegated to secondary pages
	3. Produce some friendly prose
	4. Build the html for the page

#4 is fun, and I wouldn't mind doing it in DreamWeaver if nobody else
has better tools and skills. #3 is easy enough, though checking it
for accuracy needs to be a community effort. I am not competent to do
#2, but this list is full of people who are.

Here I'm proposing an approach to #1. I suggest the page be organized
by audience, and that it begin by addressing the needs of users most
in danger of being scared off. (Obviously what follows is not the
friendly-prose stage -- just a stab at a logical organization.)

===== the Python-on-the-Mac page =======================

[1] "If you're a Mac user who wants to learn to write Python programs":
	note Apple distro, be politely disparaging toward it, provide links to
		Bob's framework, with notes (how extensive is this?) on other stuff
required
		ActiveState's framework, with similar notes
	provide links to
		how-to-program sites
		how-to-program-in-Python sites
		how-to-program-for-the-Mac sites

[2] "If you want an editor or full-fledged IDE (rather than using the
Terminal)":
	provide links, with brief descriptions, to
		Wing IDE
		BBEdit/TextWrangler
		??
	discuss briefly the non-terrors of working in the Terminal

[3] "If you want to write programs with windows and buttons":
	discuss why libraries would be helpful
	provide links, with brief descriptions, to
		wxPython
		TKinter
		??

[4] "If your programs need other specialized tools":
	provide links, with brief descriptions, to
		PIL
		Numeric
		SciPy

[5] "If you want to write C (or other) extensions, or embed Python,
or …":
	Describe the current state of considerations about target Mac system
(10.3, 10.4,
		Intel)
	Provide links to
		PyObjC
		??

A couple of questions right off the bat:

1. I'm not at all clear whether it's necessary to address the
question of platform (is the user running 10.3 or 10.4? does the sub-
version matter?) before that last, extensions stage. How many
packages under [3] or [4], for example, require a certain OS version?
If we don't need to address this before [5] (whose audience won't
have trouble with it), that's very very good: it saves a lot of
combinatoric mess. If we do, then can it be a sidebar on the page?
How much of a decision tree is there, or does there have to be?

2. Would it be legitimate to start the page off with a little list of
things to do for those who get worried by too many choices? For me,
the list would be (1) get Bob's framework (2) pick and install an IDE
(3) go get one of the following books or read the following
instructional sites. Beginning with a list seems too arbitrary. But
it really mustn't take the reader long to deduce that last for
herself/himself.

3. Once this sketch is fleshed out fully enough to be not misleading,
I fear that keeping it on a single page may get cumbersome. If that
happens, do we prefer a couple of sequential pages ("Next…") or some
kind of branch? A hard question before we get there -- but the kind
of thing that it would be helpful to decide early, for reasons don't
have to explain to programmers, though I have to explain them to my
students frequently.

Charles