[Pythonmac-SIG] Pythonmac-SIG Digest, Vol 34, Issue 19

Daniel Lord daniel at brightfire.com
Mon Feb 6 17:03:36 CET 2006

> From: Charles Hartman <charles.hartman at conncoll.edu>
> Date: 6 February 2006 06:43:48 GMT-08:00
> To: Louis Pecora <pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil>
> Cc: pythonmac-sig at python.org
> Subject: Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] install again?
>

> Hence, yet again, a plea for newbies everywhere:
>
> I continue to believe that it really, really shouldn't be necessary
> for people who want to write programs in Python for the Mac to do
> all this. Great to learn as much as possible, yes, always -- but to
> require people, just to get started, to learn about shells and the
> Terminal, which they may never have dealt with before, even if they
> have a variety of Mac programming experience, is not to put Python
> on its best footing.

You don't have to do this to get started. This only became necessary
because the person installed a non-official Python release. Stick
with the default version Apple ships and it is indeed simple--one
need do none of this.

I understand the frustration and confusion over having to delve into
some of the technical details regarding command search ordering, but
every operating system solves the problem in a technical way (even
Windows) although it is transparent to the average user when it gives
the expected results. Installing two version of Microsoft Words on
Windows will cause the same problem--one has to be set to be the
default and the other will take a little or even a lot of work to
run. Microsoft will try to prevent two versions from being installed
to avoid this problem. In fact, Windows annoys me often when
launching non-Microsoft applications to ask if I wouldn't rather have
Microsoft's application set as the default. In this case Microsoft is
trying to keep the command searching straight for you--but only
because these are end-user applications that are launched
transparently without the command line. Microsoft WIndows provides no
help when looking for commands from the DOS Shell either. In fact,
there is a lot more information available on UNIX for free than for
the inner working of WIndows.

As for Apple and Python: Apple supports Python just fine-only one
version of Python comes installed and it is always found from the
command line. By installing 2.4, a user has installed a non-Apple-
official version so the user has to take responsibility for setting
it up properly. Apple has a rigorous testing process and releases
software when they are ready for fully support it for their
environment. Because 2.3 is the official Apple version, the creators
of the 2.4 binary package did not want to overwrite 2.3 and assume
the liability for the users system. Imagine how much more frustrated
you'd be if that happened and then something broke?

If one wants to 'push' the metaphorical envelope and run a non-
official version of Python, one must accept the risk that one may
make mistakes and also take on the additional burden of educating
oneself to avoid problems. There is an assumption that when one is
using development tools, one knows a bit more of the technical
details on using the operating system. If one doesn't understand the
PATH environment variable, then the concept of site-packages and
module scope and precedence and searching fundamental to Python will
be lost as well--they are very similar. There are many informative,
well-written tutorials out on the web one can use to learn about the
UNIX environment, the BASH shell and it is easy to create an
environment where one can run both 2.3 and 2.4 safely. take a deep
breath and devote 15 minutes to reading one. It will benefit you
greatly I promise. Many Python books also describe setting up one's
environment. But no one is forcing you to. If the added effort is not
to your liking, I'd suggest you stay with 2.3 and keep it simple. But
don't blame Python, Apple, or the great group of folks here who
unselfishly keep Mac Python going.

Daniel Lord

Intro to Shell variables and path: http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/
~matloff/UnixAndC/Unix/ShellIntro.html

Learn about these commands: which, echo $PATH, alias