[Pythonmac-SIG] First experiences with the python24-fat tree.

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sun Feb 5 02:35:06 CET 2006

On Feb 4, 2006, at 12:26 PM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 4-feb-2006, at 21:02, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>>
>> What I don't quite understand is that the latter patch doesn't
>> quite work: the i386 contains weak links to fstatvfs and other
>> 10.4-only symbols, but the ppc version does not. A small test
>> program does work correctly.
>
> I hope nobody noticed this e-mail :-(. You have to set
> MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 (or any value except 10.1) before
> building, else gcc ignores weak linking instructions for ppc
> builds. I've solved this more permantently by adding these lines to
> Makefile.pre.in (just after settings CONFIGURE_MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT):
>
> #
> # Ensure that the deployment target doesn't change between
> configure and
> # build time.
> MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=@CONFIGURE_MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET@
>
> This ensures that make and distutils will use the same setting of
> MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET. A better fix might be to drop
> CONFIGURE_MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET entirely, I'll do that later.

Maybe what we should do is assume MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3
unless it's set manually, and make sure to use it in the makefiles
any time a compiler is invoked.  distutils already ensures
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET is set for anything it does.

I'm also thinking about having distutils.util.get_platform() return
macosx-$MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET-arch rather than the actual current
version, since for all intents and purposes that's what distutils is
going to be producing binaries for.