[Pythonmac-SIG] wxPython build issue

Kevin Ollivier kevino at theolliviers.com
Sat Feb 4 03:02:18 CET 2006

Hi Bill,

On Feb 3, 2006, at 5:29 PM, Bill Northcott wrote:

> On 04/02/2006, at 12:00 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>>> The issue only arises using Python 2.4.x on Tiger.  It does not
>>> arise
>>> with Python 2.3.x on Tiger or Python 2.4.x on Panther (MacOS 10.3.x)
>>
>> On top of that, it should only happen if you're using a Python
>> 2.4.x build on Tiger that was compiled on Panther.
>
> Why would it not happen if Python 2.4 was built on Tiger?

Quoting a message Ronald wrote a few days back, when we were
discussing universal builds:

"Python's configure has hardcoded that OSX 10.2 and 10.4 must not
have _POSIX_SOURCE and friends defined. Annoyingly this means that if
you build Python on Panther you'll have to patch the build if you
want to build extensions on Tiger."

In other words, on Tiger and Jaguar, Python does not define
_POSIX_C_SOURCE, in which case everything goes smoothly. I didn't
remember this point until Bob mentioned the patch...

>> This is exactly what TigerPython24Fix is for:
>> http://undefined.org/python/#TigerPython24Fix
>
> As far as I can see this patch is a work around for the binary
> package on Bob's web site.  Kevin and I are trying to fix the source
> code.  so things build correctly without user level patching.

Actually, if Python can get along without having _POSIX_C_SOURCE
defined, then removing that define from Python itself is a very good
idea. However, you're right that it only solves the immediate
problem, still leaving the problem that wx cannot be built when
_POSIX_C_SOURCE is defined.

Thanks,

Kevin