[Pythonmac-SIG] wxPython build issue

Bill Northcott w.northcott at unsw.edu.au
Sat Feb 4 01:39:00 CET 2006

On 04/02/2006, at 11:28 AM, Christopher Barker wrote:
> I'm a bit confused where the problem is here. I've just installed
> OS-X 10.4, and I'm trying to decide where to go with my python
> version. I was planning on going all 10.4, rather than using a
> python framework built for 10.3. However, I need wxPython, so I'm
> interested in this thread.
>
> Bill Northcott wrote:
> > I have been trying to build wxPython on Tiger (10.4.4 gcc--3.3/g77)
> > with some difficulty, which may just be me being dense.
>
> Is this only a problem with gcc 3.3? What about gcc 4.0? Why are
> you building with 3.3 on OS-X 10.4?
>
> Or should I just stick with the older python build and use Robin's
> binaries?

MacOS X 10.4 Tiger includes Python 2.3.5 and wxPython.

The issue only arises using Python 2.4.x on Tiger.  It does not arise
with Python 2.3.x on Tiger or Python 2.4.x on Panther (MacOS 10.3.x)

As for using gcc-3.3 this is mainly because of the need for Fortran.
gfortran while improving fast is still not production and g77 is not
compatible with gcc-4.

Bill