[Pythonmac-SIG] best way to install packages?

Andrew Jaffe a.h.jaffe at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 17:57:44 CET 2006

Hi All,

I originally posted this in a different thread, but I realize that the
first post was about 10 levels deep, so possibly ignored by people who
might care or be able to help (or possibly just ignored as a dumb
question). Anyway, is there a 'best' way to install python packages on a
mac nowadays? It seems that there at least three possibilities:

   - plain old setup.py install
   - bdist_mpkg
   - eggs (in which case I realize I'm not sure I know exactly *how* to
do this)

I've been using bdist_mpkg a lot recently, but this discussion is making
me think it may not the preferred way. Any opinions? (There was one
answer in favor of plain-old setup.py install.)

-Andrew