[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app build problems

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Aug 12 21:24:29 CEST 2006

On Aug 11, 2006, at 9:34 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On 8/11/06, William Kyngesburye <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:
>> I have a setup.py I generated from py2applet which I've expanded to
>> copy in all the shell scripts and binaries and support files needed
>> for an application (py2app is just for the app startup, the app is
>> all shell scripts and C binaries).
>
> This use case isn't really covered very well by py2app. It's designed
> to build Python applications. It can probably be used for that, but
> you're mostly on your own.

Understood.  No complaints here.

> file a ticket for this:
> http://trac.pythonmac.org/py2app/newticket
>
> (if you don't file tickets, I can pretty much guarantee I'll forget to
> do anything about it in any reasonable timeframe).

OK.  Just wanted to make sure there was a problem and it wasn't
something I missed.

>> - for libraries installed from the software, it's pulling in
>> installed copies (makes sense, since that's where the install name
>> has them).  But these may be older than the ones I've just built for
>> the app package and haven't installed yet.
>
> macholib respects all of the DYLD environment variables. If you want
> it to pick up libraries from some other location, start setting them.

So, will the debug-skip-macholib option override the frameworks
option? Or the other way around?

>> given the various issues with pulling in libraries and frameworks, an
>> exclude option that would be nice is to exclude all libraries/
>> frameworks, without having to figure out what they might be and
>> listing every one, a 'dylib_excludes: all' option.  I would rather
>> install needed libraries manually anyways (as resources), and the
>> application sets DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH already so relative paths aren't
>> needed.
>
> This option is called --debug-skip-macholib

Cool, that did it.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole.  Now what
does that remind me of?  Ah, yes - life."

- Marvin