[Pythonmac-SIG] appscript 0.16.0 source release

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Tue Aug 8 22:03:19 CEST 2006

Hi folks,

I've posted the source for appscript 0.16.0 at:

http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/appscript_source.html

There's some API breakage in this version while I tidy stuff up (I
want to freeze the aem and appscript APIs shortly) and a whole heap
of other changes including bug fixes and performance optimisations,
so I'd appreciate it if folks here could give it a bit of a whirl
before I do the proper binary release. Please see the readme file for
more details.

Also, one more query: anyone have any strong opinions on whether I
should stick with the current built-in type names (k.Integer,
k.Float, k.String, k.Unicode, etc.) or switch to AppleScript-
equivalents (k.integer, k.real, k.string, k.Unicode_text, etc.)?

- Switching would simplify standardisation, especially if appscript
gets ported to other platforms, since everyone is on the same
wavelength. It also makes sdefs a bit easier to parse, since you only
need to escape existing type names instead of converting them from AS
keywords to AE codes to custom type names.

- OTOH, folk may prefer that type and class names are easier to tell
apart by their capitalisation (e.g. k.Type and k.document_file are
more obviously different than k.value_class and k.document_file).

Thanks,

has
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/