[Pythonmac-SIG] ANN: ScrIDE 0.4

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Sat Aug 5 15:01:52 CEST 2006

Christopher Barker wrote:

>> Also, you really shouldn't mix tabs and spaces in your source
>> code. Ick.
>
> I haven't looked at ScrIDE yet, but it shouldn't allow mixed tabs
> and spaces at all. In fact, it really should ONLY allow spaces.
> That is the Python standard now.

The smart thing would be tabs for editing and display, and spaces for
saving, with automatic normalisation of both types of files upon
opening. (The editor should also allow the user to type either one
tab or four spaces to make one indent to keep everyone happy.)

Space-based indentation sucks for on-screen display in modern GUI
environments (e.g. space-based indents are totally unreadable when
displayed in proportional fonts, and a waste of a good semantics-
aware text view). At the same time you don't want to write tab-
indented files as having two different file formats in circulation
has compatibility issues.

i.e. The user should never have to think about space-vs-tab issues:
things should 'just work'. It's the taking care of annoying tedious
housekeeping chores that separates the IDEs from the Notepads, after
all.

HTH

has
--