[Pythonmac-SIG] ANN: ScrIDE 0.4

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Aug 4 23:28:35 CEST 2006

On Aug 4, 2006, at 1:57 PM, gandreas at gandreas.com wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2006, at 3:12 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>

>> On Aug 4, 2006, at 11:32 AM, gandreas at gandreas.com wrote:
>>
>>> Version 0.4, the "PyOXIDE replacement" IDE is now available - it
>>> fixed several problems with 0.3, adds "context sensitive object
>>> info details" (to both the rich shells as well as debugger), and
>>> the ability to browse the variables in a rich shell (using a
>>> variable display like the debugger).
>>>
>>> ScrIDE is an extensible generic scripting IDE (currently focused
>>> on Python, though other scripting languages will eventually be
>>> further supported), including an editor with syntax coloring,
>>> popup function, included file popups, split panes, calltips,
>>> completion, etc... interactive shells (again, with completion,
>>> syntax coloring, object info), source level debugger,
>>> documentation browser, and other tools.
>>
>> It might make more sense if ScrIDE's default Python interpreter
>> was the newest one installed, rather than the system default.
>> Typically if someone has Python 2.4 installed, they don't want
>> anything to do with the Python 2.3 in /usr/bin.
>>

> ScrIDE uses whatever you last explicitly set as your Python version
> for anything that doesn't have an explicit version set (so if you
> change it to "local 2.4", all future files and files that you
> haven't set your version will use "local 2.4").  So you'd typically
> only have to change that once (in general, everything follows the
> "if something is explicitly set and saved, it stays like that until
> changed - if nothing is explicitly set, it uses whatever was last
> explicitly set")
>
> Still, changing the order of the elements in
> ScrIDEVersionPrefixList (found in the Python plugin Info.plist) to
> alter the search order is trivial.  Of course, this assume a fully
> logical search order exists - should a locally installed (but
> potentially unstable) 2.5 be preferred over a locally installed
> (but stable) 2.4?  And what about a system provided 2.4 that might
> be found in some future release?

The most logical default is to pick the one that is first on their
$PATH according to their shell preferences. I guess something like
this would work (when properly translated to Cocoa):

$SHELL -c 'which python'

That should *always* return a Python interpreter. Past that I'd look
for the system interpreter, darwinports, fink, and /usr/local/bin. If
you really wanted to you could start searching for framework
installs, and checking PATH for various version numbers (python2.X).

> And since I've needed at times to do Quartz scripting, saying
> "don't want anything to do with 2.3" isn't entirely accurate either...

I said typically...

>> Also, you really shouldn't mix tabs and spaces in your source
>> code. Ick.
>
> I'm going to blame that fuglyness on XCode (one of the many reasons
> I hate editing Python code in XCode) - it's impractical to use
> ScrIDE to edit its own code because to do the "edit, build, run"
> cycle you'd have to close and reopen all your files each cycle (and
> if something bad breaks, you won't be able to reopen the files at
> all), and trying to run with two different versions of the same app
> is a invitation to certain madness...

Well, the first thing you should do when editing Python code anywhere
is to make sure the editor is using the right settings. Xcode has a
settings to use 4-space tabs.