[Pythonmac-SIG] Installing wxPython with ActivePython and OSX

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Tue Apr 25 01:47:22 CEST 2006

Thanks to Chris, Kevin, and Bob. Yes, I should have changed the
thread name. I stayed with it because it's where Kevin posted the
good news about wxPython.

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't it awfully silly to have these
competing versions around, with names and apparent pedigrees similar
enough so that, for instance, if somebody stumbles onto this list
asking about problems with "this new Universal binary of Python 2.4 I
just installed," it won't take two rounds of messages even to find
out what version it is? How anyone could guess that pythonmac.org/
packages has the current best while the one at python.org/download/
releases is obsolete, is beyond me. This is not doing any good for
all the fine bring-in-the-newbies work that's been going on
(revivified website, spanking new icons, etc).

I can happily report, though, that *either* Universal build of Python-
for-the-Macintosh 2.4 seems to work with the pre-release Universal of
wxPython 2.6.3.2 -- after something's done to fix the lib location.

Charles Hartman