[Pythonmac-SIG] Installing wxPython with ActivePython and OSX

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Mon Apr 24 21:52:44 CEST 2006

Excellent!

Problem, though -- a bone-dumb one, I'm quite sure, but I'm living
proof that the unsavvy can run into it:

On my Intel iMac I downloaded and installed
	1. the Universal-MacPython-2.4.3.dmg (it made a new Applications/
MacPython 2.4
		folder, beside my existing Applications/MacPython-2.4 folder)
	2. the wxPython2.6-osx-unicode-2.6.3.2rc1-universal10.4-py2.4.dmg
In the Terminal "python" gives me the expected version, but "import
wx" gives:

Python 2.4.3 (#1, Mar 30 2006, 11:02:16)
 >>> import wx
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File "//Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-mac-unicode/wx/__init__.py", line 42,
in ?
     from wx._core import *
   File "//Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-mac-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 4, in ?
     import _core_
ImportError: Failure linking new module: /Library/Frameworks/
Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-mac-
unicode/wx/_core_.so: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/wxPython-
unicode-2.6.3.2/lib/libwx_macud-2.6.0.dylib
   Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/
lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-mac-unicode/wx/_core_.so
   Reason: image not found

Charles Hartman

P.S. I had /usr/local/bin in my path before. Now I've got:

PATH=/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:/usr/
local/bin:/ . . .