[Pythonmac-SIG] Fwd: MacPython icon mockup

Daniel Lord daniellord at mac.com
Fri Apr 21 19:27:48 CEST 2006

On Apr 21, 2006, at 9:45, Christopher Barker wrote:

> Question: Do icons need to be associated with applications?
> Personally,
> I'd love to have all my *.py files have a nice python icon, but be
> able
> to choose what text editor or IDE I'd want them to open up with my
> default (and it won't be IDLE!). i.e. I want the python icon, NOT the
> BBedit icon, even though I usually use BBedit to edit python files.

Chris, it is my experience that the Finder 'helpfully' replaces the
file's icon with the 'appropriate' type of icon for the program that
will open it. I will variously open files with more than one
application depending on what I am doing (C/C++: Xcode/BBedit,
Python: Komodo/BBEdit/Python) and I find it vexing to say the least
but for neophytes it is probably a good thing that Apple chose to do
it. So I suffer in silence. Riddle: When is a py not a py? Answer:
when it is python source file you made with BBEdit.