[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app = newbie path confusion

Daniel Lord daniellord at mac.com
Wed Apr 19 19:37:08 CEST 2006

On Apr 19, 2006, at 10:03, Zachery Bir wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2006, at 12:53 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:
>
>> corporate user wrote:
>>> I'm forming the opinion that
>>> "from XXX import *" should be banned from all introduction, tutorial
>>> and example materials.
>>
>> Actually, it should be banned from virtually ALL user code! But
>> tutorial
>> and examples are a start!
>
> It has a strong place in PyObjC, where we're putting our natural
> inclination for multi-layered namespaces aside to fit in with the
> conventions of ObjC's single namespace. At least there (in PyObjC's
> context), it's a natural fit, and I'd much rather it continue to be
> presented as the convention.
>
> I know you said "virtually", but given the fact this is the pythonmac
> mailing list, and PyObjC plays (at least for me) a very big part of
> the Python on Mac landscape, I'd hate to see a ban on what is
> arguably a harmless (and very timesaving!) use of "from x import *".

It is fine in modules where the scoping and namespaces are
thoughtfully implemented.
Banning is too strong a word. It kind like a hand grenade--really
dangerous for the unskilled, but man when you need one, you really
need one ;-)

Beginner's should be cautioned and receive qualified instruction
before using: i.e. it should be documented ;-)