[Pythonmac-SIG] readline: where and how installed?

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Sat Apr 15 20:30:29 CEST 2006

> I could make some nasty remarks about emacs and you could then
> strike back with remarks about vi, but lets not go there :-)

Thanks for reminding me of vi.

As I understand it (I'm afraid I've never seen the point of knowing
much about vi :-) the model vi uses is quite different -- "lean and
mean", a model suited to the early days of computing with low-powered
24x80 terminals, vs. Emacs's "live-inside" model.  People who use it
seem to slip in and out of it (for example, to do things like using
the shell), rather than doing everything inside it.  I surmise vi has
no shell mode, and thus you'd need something else, something like
readline, to provide that support.  A good point.

Bill