[Pythonmac-SIG] readline: where and how installed?

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 12 23:40:43 CEST 2006

>> This is for Bob Ippolito -
>
> Well it's really for Ronald, I didn't build it.  I have no idea.

Sorry! Hopefully Ronald will let us know what version of readline he
used.

Now, in regards to the GDB issue: can anyone with the latest
developer tools who also has the Universal Python build installed try
to run python under gdb? (I have a different install of python 2.4.3
that I don't want to nuke by installing the universal build just to
test this; otherwise I wouldn't ask).
All you need to do is run
'gdb python'
and then type
'run'
and see if you get a python prompt, or
> Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
> 0x8fe0100c in __dyld__dyld_start ()

I think you'll get the latter because of how the Universal MacPython
is a dummy application bundle that just does an execve to the real
python. This is known to confuse at least some versions of gdb.
Though, with any luck, the latest version of gdb that Apple shipped
won't be confused in this way.

Zach