[Pythonmac-SIG] XCode fails to see py2app

Frederick C. Lee fclee at highstream.net
Fri Sep 30 00:24:06 CEST 2005

Greetings (totally green neophyte trying to crawl back into the
MacPython camp):
     I recently ran install pyobjc 1.3.7.

The following is one (1) of the modules installed (copied from
installer dialog window):

(Required) Pure Python modules and packages
Installed to: /Library/Python/2.3/site-packages

I did a check to see if I got the stuff installed:

[/Users/Ric]ls /Library/Python/2.3/site-packages
Extras.pth      PyObjC.pth      dbflib.py       dbflibc.so
py2app.pth      shapelib.pyc    shptree.so
PyObjC/         README          dbflib.pyc      py2app/
shapelib.py     shapelibc.so

So it appears the installation went okay.

I started to build the demo project "PyAverager 2" and got the
following build error:

/usr/bin/env /Users/Ric/Downloads/PyAverager2/setup.py py2app --alias
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/Users/Ric/Downloads/PyAverager2/setup.py", line 38, in ?
     import py2app
ImportError: No module named py2app

This appears to be a simple XCode 2.1 adjustment (correct?).  But
which environment variable to I change?   Do I need to add a search
path to the headers?  Or what?
I'm lost here.

Regards,

Ric.

The following is the setup.py that was read:

#!/usr/bin/env python
#
# ------------------------------------------------
#
#   CHANGE ABOVE OR EDIT THE "Shell Script Files"
#   PHASE TO START THE THIS SCRIPT WITH ANOTHER
#   PYTHON INTERPRETER.
#
# ------------------------------------------------
#

"""
Distutils script for building PyAverager.

Development:
     xcodebuild -buildstyle Development

Deployment:
     xcodebuild -buildstyle Deployment

These will place the executable in
the "build" dir by default.

Alternatively, you can use py2app directly.

Development:
     python setup.py py2app --alias

Deployment:
     python setup.py py2app

These will place the executable in
the "dist" dir by default.

"""

from distutils.core import setup
import py2app
import os
import sys

os.chdir(os.path.dirname(os.path.abspath(__file__)))

from PyObjCTools import XcodeSupport

xcode = XcodeSupport.xcodeFromEnvironment(
     'PyAverager.xcode',
     os.environ,
)

sys.argv = xcode.py2app_argv(sys.argv)
setup_options = xcode.py2app_setup_options('app')

#
# mangle any distutils options you need here
# in the setup_options dict
#

setup(**setup_options)