[Pythonmac-SIG] XCode autoindenting?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Sep 21 20:36:57 CEST 2005

On 19-sep-2005, at 19:48, Jeffrey E. Forcier wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2005, at 1:29 PM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>

>> What good Python support? AFAIK Python support in Xcode is limited
>> to syntax coloring.
>>
>> I'd like to see good Python support (not only autoindent but also
>> support for Python debugging), but I don't think that'll happen
>> unless lots of python programmers start filing feature requests
>> for this in Apple's bugreporter.
>>
>> Ronald
>>

> Well, by 'good' I mean 'better than I remember XCode 1.x having'
> which may well be incorrect anyways. Yea, it's mostly just syntax
> coloring, although it also knows enough to populate the symbols
> navigation dropdown.
>
> It's just always odd to find an editor supporting the syntax but
> not the autoindent, as I find both to be near deal-breakers.
Xcode support syntax coloring for a lot languages, including fringe
languages like Dylan. Someone seems to have overengeneered the syntax
coloring system :-)

> Bug report filed. Any idea how responsive Apple has been to
> community requests? The only thing I've heard of is the whole
> WebKit/KHTML debacle.

IMHO the WebKit story was hyped, but I must say I haven't checked out
al details. At least WebKit is now a more transparent project.

I don't know how responsive Apple is. At least one Apple engeneer
really likes Python, and there are rumored to be more :-). I'd guess
that Python support is not high on the TODO list for Xcode and won't
be until someone big (such as Adobe) starts pushing for it.

My feature request for this asks for opening up Xcode a little, that
way we could write Python support ourselves. Someone who really wants
to enhance Xcode won't be stopped by lack of API documentation. There
are several 3th party plugins for Mail.app and that doesn't have a
public API either.

Ronald