[Pythonmac-SIG] py-rdiff-backup?

Chinook chinook.nr at tds.net
Sun Sep 18 05:42:53 CEST 2005

*** I posted this on the rdiff-backup list, but the traffic there is
next to nothing, so it being a python package I'm taking a shot at the
pythonmac community :-) ***

Ok, lets take a different shot at this :-)

I would like to checkout rdiff-backup usage on Mac OS X (10.4.2)

1)  Are there any other such users out there?

2)  I want to use the full functionality but there are two limitations,
namely ACLs and EAs.  The various port packages have "librsync" included
as a dependency but do not include pylibacl and pyxattr.

    2a)  EA support: supposedly with "pyxattr" recognized, but in Mac OS
X the proper module is "xattr" which I have in my pythonmac 2.4.1
installation (/usr/local/) and in the DarwinPorts environment
(/opt/local/).  Other than my PATH variable, how do I get rdiff-backup
to recognize "xattr?"

    2b) ACL support: supposedly with "pylibacl" recognized, but I can't
find any such thing for Darwin.  The "standard" download setup.py checks
for Linux and Free-BSD only and quits.  Having looked (with my limited
understanding) at the Carbon "FPGetACL" which pylibacl would, I believe,
have to get down to, I'm not adventurous enough to just add Darwin to
the setup.py.  Is there any merit in pursuing this aspect?

Thank you,
Lee C