[Pythonmac-SIG] messed up Tiger python install

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Tue Sep 13 04:43:37 CEST 2005

Brendan Simons wrote:

> On 12-Sep-05, at 6:00 AM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>> Patches accepted at http://sourceforge.net/projects/python :)
>>
>> -bob
>
> ok, point taken.  I'm going to have to brush up on my distutils skills
> before I can approach that.

The Python interpreter's installer isn't built with distutils. Look at
Mac/OSX/Dist/README.txt in the source distribution.

But please consider writing clear documentation telling people how to
modify their $PATH, instead. That's far more likely to be a robust
approach. AFAICT, this is an issue that only affects people running
python from the terminal. Such people need to know something as basic as
the $PATH anyways. The best part of this approach is that you don't have
to brush up on anything.  ;-)

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu