[Pythonmac-SIG] messed up Tiger python install

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Sat Sep 10 23:37:20 CEST 2005

Christofer "Boz" Jennings wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a newbie to this list and to Python who has messed up Python on
> Tiger :-(
>
> I'm on an eMac, G4 1.25 GHz.
>
> I installed Python 2.4 with TigerPython24Fix. Then I installed PIL. I
> wanted to build Skencil but the build failed to find the Imaging
> package. Looking for that package I noticed the build expected it in /
> System/Library/... instead of /Library/... (where Python 2.4 got
> installed) so ... and this is where I messed things up ... I started
> changing symlinks and so forth. Now I'm hopelessly messed up. I've
> clobbered Python of any version on my Mac. ... HELP!!!

That's bad. You'll probably want to reinstall the OS. Don't remove the
Apple-installed Python. The OS depends on it.

> The TigerPython24Fix installer now says that my hard drive not a
> valid target, even though it worked before.
>
> I think I want to have Python 2.4 as the only version. Any help would
> be much appreciated.

No, you don't. What you do want to do is put /usr/local/bin in your
$PATH before /usr/bin so typing

  $ python

gives you 2.4.1. That was probably your problem with building Skencil.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

  -- Richard Harter