[Pythonmac-SIG] Framework build of 2.4.2

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sun Oct 30 20:08:51 CET 2005

On Sunday, October 30, 2005, at 07:20PM, Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:

>> One other thing: would it be wise to create /Library/Python/2.4
>> with symlinks to relevant parts of the framework? I'm mostly
>> thinking of the directories "bin" and "site-packages". The reason
>> I'd like to do this is twofold:
>>
>> 1) listing /Library/Python/2.4/site-packages would be an easy way
>> to check what is installed.
>> 2) unless you use bdist_mpkg to install packages or have
>> a .pydistutils.cfg scripts will end up inside the framework, and will
>>     theforefore be non-existant for most users.
>>
>> I had to patch the sources anyway, might as wel add this
>> improvement as well.
>
>I don't think we should do this.  In theory, it will conflict with
>10.5 -- which is very likely to have a /Library/Python/2.4/site-
>packages which is a symlink to somewhere else!

I don't really care about 10.5 at this point in time, but you do make a valid point.

The current situation seems to suggest that Apple's version would
have a directory at /Library/Python/2.4/site-packages and symlink to this
in the framework.  That's probably better than my suggestion, but would also
be incompatible with the current official installer which is a no-no.

I won't include /Library/Python/2.4 in the installer.

BTW. Actually building the beast sucks, the script for building the documentation index is not very reliable: it crashes while waiting for the indexer to finish. Luckily I can compensate for this in the build script.

Ronald