[Pythonmac-SIG] Framework build of 2.4.2

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Fri Oct 28 14:03:43 CEST 2005

On 27-okt-2005, at 23:37, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2005, at 2:29 PM, Samuel M. Smith wrote:
>

>> Will there be a framework installer for python 2.4.2?
>>

> Not particularly soon unless someone else does it.

I can boot into 10.3 if necessary. How does one build the "unofficial
offical" Python installer? I suppose by running the 'build' script in
Mac/OSX/Dist.

Do I need to install other software before trying to build the
installer? Waste springs to mind, BerkeleyDB is another one.

> The problem is that my G4 with 10.3 still on it is sitting in storage
> and I don't plan on getting it out any time soon.
>
> I could try and build something with the SDK, but that's hard, I
> wouldn't be able to test it, and I don't have a lot of time for
> Python stuff right now.

I'd guess that building against an SDK will be hard. I'll probably
look into doing it for PyObjC in the future, as a method for building
a single binary distribution of PyObjC that works on as much OS
versions as possible while giving full access all features in the
frameworks.

> I don't want to deal with having a 10.4 specific version of Python
> out there (when there's no good reason to have one), so that's not
> really an option I'm going to explore.
Is there any advantage of building on 10.4? The only possible
advantage I can come up with is support for new APIs in core library,
although I wouldn't know a specific example.

Ronald