[Pythonmac-SIG] Python OCR on the Mac?

Henning.Ramm@mediapro-gmbh.de Henning.Ramm at mediapro-gmbh.de
Mon Oct 24 22:15:45 CEST 2005

>> A little googling turned up the following interesting-sounding open-
>> source packages:
>>
>> Gamera project (Python-based OCR)
>> http://ldp.library.jhu.edu/projects/gamera/
>>
>> gocr
>> http://jocr.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> ocrad
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/ocrad/ocrad.html
>>
>> I haven't tried any of these.  The 'ocrad' software is available
>> through DarwinPorts.

>I for one would be really, really interested in hearing from anyone
>who's tried one or more of these. Any comparison shoppers at work out
>there?

I only tried GOCR about a year ago (compiled it myself without Fink or DarwinPorts, didn't try to access it with Python), and it worked, but the results were rather poor, similar to the results of older commercial OCR software some years ago. I don't have any experience with up-to-date OCR software. Perhaps I only didn't find the best parameters...

Best regards,
Henning Hraban Ramm
Südkurier Medienhaus / MediaPro
Support/Admin/Development Dept.