[Pythonmac-SIG] problems using py2app

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Oct 14 11:16:34 CEST 2005

On Oct 12, 2005, at 6:07 AM, Richard Taylor wrote:

> I am trying to use py2app (http://undefined.org/python/) to package a
> gnome-python application called gramps (http://www.gramps-
> project.org) for
> MAC OS X.
>
> py2app does not have a mailing list so I started by posting to
> comp.lang.python and someone there pointed me here instead. If
> anyone could
> point me in the direction of a better forum is there is one.
>
> The command I am running is:
>
>  python setup.py py2app
>
> The error I am getting is (the full output is attached):
>
>  -> raise ValueError, "New Mach-O header is too large to relocate"
>
> It looks like there is a problem with the number of libraries that
> gramps depends on, but I am new to the MAC and py2app so I am not
> sure where
> to turn next to overcome this problem.
> Any ideas?

It's only loosely related to the number of libraries.  It's somewhat
difficult to explain exactly why this error occurs, but it is
normally quite rare and there isn't much that can be done about it
from the py2app side of things.

The solution is to re-link the libraries that are having this problem
with the -headerpad_max_install_names ld flag.  I think that there's
some way to set LDFLAGS appropriately and then use port to rebuild
them, but you'll have to ask someone else who knows more about the
DarwinPorts toolchain because I have no idea.