[Pythonmac-SIG] py-rdiff-backup?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sat Oct 8 18:06:05 CEST 2005

On Oct 8, 2005, at 3:52 AM, Alastair Rankine wrote:

> As you might expect, the sematics of xattr (ie Darwin EA) differ
> greatly from pyxattr (ie Linux EA). So you will need to go back to
> the rdiff-backup developers to get Mac xattr support.

Well, not really.  I just committed the 10 lines of code to give it a
compatible python interface.

> I don't know if anyone else in MacPython land has noticed the
> potential naming collision here with "pyxattr", the Linux EA package
> <http://pyxattr.sourceforge.net/> ?
>
> In order to avoid confusion, can I humbly suggest a name change for
> the xattr package? IMHO the package names (both of them) should be
> more representative of the underlying platforms (eg darwin_xattr),
> given the dependencies in each case.

The Linux package can bite me, it's GPL, so it's useless for my
purposes.

The Linux API for EA is actually almost identical to Darwin's
(slightly less functional), so I went ahead and just added support
for Linux.  Unfortunately, I'm not running any modern Linux anywhere,
so I couldn't test using it beyond getting it compiled on the
sourceforge compile farm.  NetBSD looks like it may also include a
compatible API with Darwin's, but I'm not using that either and the
compile farm host is down.

FreeBSD unfortunately has its own API at this time, and the Windows
API is of course not the same.