[Pythonmac-SIG] appscript and quicktime

captnswing captnswing at gmx.net
Mon Oct 3 09:21:41 CEST 2005

hello all,
I am in the process of converting my applescript to python thanks to
the fantastic appscript module.
Never again will I have to wrap my head around applescripts
ideosyncracies!!

now I only need to map the two languages, which unfortunately isnt
obviously at all times
the following applescript snippet seems unimplementable in appscript,
to me at least:

if (can export movie 1 as DV stream) is true then
     try
         with timeout of 360 seconds
             export movie 1 to POSIX file the_newname as DV stream
using settings the_settings with replacing
         end timeout
     on error errorMsg number errNo
     end try
end if

can export? with timeout? not sure how to do this in appscript...
also the following:

--get number of tracks and kind of movie
tell application "QuickTime Player"
     activate
     open the_file
     tell movie file_name
         set track_count to the count of tracks
         set track_kind to the kind of track 1
     end tell
end tell

--if movie is muxed mpeg
if (track_count is equal to 1) and (track_kind contains "Muxed") then

it is unclear to me how to get to the track_kind property of a movie
are not all properties and functions mapped over to appscript?

also I wonder how you can tell which appscript command takes what
parameters.
I remember the Quark Express discussion a while ago where there was a
astype parameter to the get command: pw.get(astype=k.Char)

and finally, what does the k. in the documentation  (and the above get
() call) stand for?

thanks for any insight you might have!
-frank