[Pythonmac-SIG] Selecting in BBEdit & Python Indenting style(spaces)

Kent Quirk kquirk at solidworks.com
Tue Nov 29 22:35:27 CET 2005

Just because there seems to be an orgy of people agreeing that Tabs are the One True Way, I feel a need to point out that there are those of us who fervently believe that Tabs Are Evil. The reason is that tabs are interpreted differently in different places, and they're indistinguishable from spaces upon casual inspection. So the visual appearance of mixed spaces and tabs can be highly misleading and confusing, especially in an environment with multiple developers, each of whom may have a different tab setting.

Spaces are unambiguous. As it's the meaning of the source that matters, and editors can be tuned to personal taste, I'm in favor of leaving the source clean of tabs and letting people tweak their editors to their own liking.

In my view, Python should consider leading tabs to be a syntax error (and yes, I know about the -tt switch).

	Kent