[Pythonmac-SIG] New Widget Problem On Mac (wxPython)

Andrea Gavana andrea_gavana at tin.it
Sat Nov 26 15:14:02 CET 2005

Hello NG,

    first of all, I am not a Mac user. I have built a widget called NotebookCtrl, that somewhat enhances the capabilities of wx.Notebook with a lot of more options regarding tabs "appearance".
I think that most of you know Stani, the SPE editor author; well, he decided to try to replace in SPE interface the instances of wx.Notebook with NotebookCtrl.
After some testing, I am sure that NotebookCtrl works on Windows 2000/XP, Linux and Unix port of wxPython. However, it does not work on Mac (the tabs are not shown at all).
Apparently, there is no reason why it should not work on Mac, but that is. Noting that I don't know a word about Mac, is there anyone that could try to help me in making it working also on Mac? It is a free tool, under wxWidgets/wxPython license, and I think that all the community could get advantage if this widget run on all platforms where wxPython is supported.
If anyone wants to help me, you can find the source code and some screenshot here:

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/infinity77/eng/freeware.html#notebookctrl

Or, if you prefer in italian ;-) :

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/infinity77/ita/freeware.html#notebookctrl

You could judge by yourself if it is worth the effort ;-)

As a first suggestion, if anyone is interested, the problematic part should be the TabCtrl class: either the OnPaint() event is not properly handled on Mac, or some initialization default parameter are not correctly recognized by Mac (such as wx.DefaultSize or similar).

Thanks a lot for every hint/pointer/suggestion/support.

Andrea.

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/infinity77