[Pythonmac-SIG] book recommendation

Jack Nutting jnutting at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 12:10:39 CET 2005

On 11/15/05, Dave Reed <dreed at capital.edu> wrote:

> I've an experienced Python programmer on Linux - I've mainly used gtk
> and glade for interfaces and now I'm slowly trying to get started
> with Cocoa apps on X-Code.
>
> I've got the CurrencyConverter example working in Python and I did
> the HelloWorld example in "The Mac XCode 2 Book" by Cohen and Cohen
> in Objective C. I got the Python version working by guessing that I
> needed to use:
>
> self.helloSayer.setStringValue_("Hello world")
>
> based on the CurrencyConverter example that did: setFloatValue_
>
> That was pretty obvious, but I think I need a Cocoa book that allows
> me to see what all the methods are for a given object. I've just
> started the above mentioned XCode 2 book, but it doesn't appear to
> have the details of all the Cocoa objects.
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation for another book I should get - I
> assume I want a Cocoa book of some sort.

I don't know if any of the available Cocoa books really cover the entire
Foundation and AppKit APIs, but I kind of doubt it since the class libraries
are so huge.

However, the API documentation is all installed along with XCode, ready for
there to use. You can browse the docs within XCode, but instead I'd
recommend AppKiDo:

http://homepage.mac.com/aglee/downloads/appkido.html

It looks through the installed API documentation, and provides a slick,
quick interface to search browse the class libraries, more quickly and
effectively than a print book could ever provide (IMHO).

--
// jack
// http://www.nuthole.com