[Pythonmac-SIG] inputing multi-digit numbers

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Nov 10 21:02:18 CET 2005

On Nov 10, 2005, at 11:29 AM, Dethe Elza wrote:

>> Excel on Mac is AppleScriptable through a weird path: Excel exposes
>> the VBA object model to AppleScript. So, it's not AppleScriptable
>> in the standard sense and I am not sure how you would access it
>> from Python.
>
> Thanks for the info, Kevin.  It sounds like downloading OpenOffice
> and using PyUNO would be fun in comparison.

You can do it, it's just an awkward API.. but anyway, using a Java
library to do it is much nicer, faster, cheaper, and more portable
(anywhere with a JRE installed).

Conveniently, the jar is also a CLI app that can just convert to CSV
and XML without even having to look at any Java code, so it's really
quite ideal.  I haven't had any issues with it, and unlike the Perl
equivalent (Spreadsheet::Excel or something), it deals with Unicode
correctly.