[Pythonmac-SIG] Building Pthreads Statically (slightly off topic)

Samuel M. Smith smithsm at samuelsmith.org
Thu Nov 3 18:27:42 CET 2005

I am building python on an embedded linux box. I tried to sign up for
the comp.lang.python mailinglist but its been
several hours and they haven't confirmed my membership so I can't ask
it there.

I hope that someone on this list can help me.

I can build python 2.4.2 from source on the embedded linux box when I
nfs mount and boot a full debian distribution.
The embedded box has stripped down linux distribution in onboard flash.
I can successfully install python to the onboard flash when booted to
the nfs version by using
make install with $DESTDIR set to the onboard flash mounted directory

I then reboot to the onboard flash and can run python from there.
This works if I build python without threading support because the
onboard flash does not include the
libpthread.so library

I think that if I can build python with pthread linked statically
then I can run python when booted from the
onboard flash without problem.

Problem is I am clueless about how to do this. The setup and setup.py
files only deal with building modules static
or shared where as threading is build into the python interpreter it
seems not as a module.

I read the readme in the source distribution but can't find and
configure options that will let me build
python with static linking of the pthread library. I have searched
google and find vague references to doing something
like that. I don't understand the makefile well enough to know how to
do it there.

So does anyone understand how include threading support statically?
What I have to modify to do it?

Samuel M. Smith Ph.D.
2966 Fort Hill Road
Eagle Mountain, Utah 84043