[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app generated app, not acting as a stand-alone app

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 2 21:54:16 CET 2005

Richard Rodriguez wrote:
> I guess it executes it "like a real CGI script".

This is probably not the best mmodel to use for what you are doing. If I
understand correctly, you're trying to write a small, stand-alone,
custom web server, that the user can click on, then interact with
through the browser. Using the CGI approach is going to get you into the
kind of troubles you're having.

The alternative is to use a web application framework that serves up
your web pages directly from Python, without starting up any scripts as
separate processes. You could also write your own, but unless you goal
is to learn to write web servers, use an existing framework, there are a
LOT of them out there, and most of them provide a stand alone web server
as an optional part of the package. Here's a few to check out:

Webware
Twisted
CherryPy
Turbo Gears (built on Cherry Pie)
Django
Quixote
Any number of others!

In my shop, we're currently using Quixote, and are just starting on a
project much like yours. In our case, we need a full fledged web app,
but also want a version that will run stand-alone on a non-networked
machine. Rather than writing two interfaces, we're planning on embedding
the we server in the app, and using the browser as the interface. I've
got a tiny little demo using Quixote and SQLLite. It bundles up just
fine with Py2app (and Py2exe on Windows), it looks like it's going to
work great. I'd be glad to send it to you if you like.

Here's a thread where I got some questions answered on this group:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/pythonmac-sig/2784010

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov