[Pythonmac-SIG] Correct way to send info to running program

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Sat May 28 20:10:00 CEST 2005

Bob wrote:

> NSDistributedNotificationCenter?
>
> You didn't really specify what your requirements are...

I'm trying to set up a "simplest thing that could possibly work" for
getting events from another application which doesn't really play
well with others.  I have hacked it enough that it logs the events I
want to the console, so I can, for example, put a tail -f console.log
| grep [events I'm interested in] | sendMessageToMyApp.  I was
intending to make "sendMessageToMyApp" be based on datagrams using
something along the lines of:

import socket
host, port = 'localhost', 8081
s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
s.sendto('some data from the command-line', (host, port))

But I was thinking that I could use NSPort to receive these messages,
which was totally off base.  I can apparently use CFSocket, but
realized that I should do a reality check and see if there's a better
way than the somewhat convoluted and roundabout path I'd set up.

It looks like NSDistributedNotificationCenter might work.  I'll try
it out.

Thanks!

--Dethe