[Pythonmac-SIG] Upgraded to 2.4 and can't make it work

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Fri May 27 16:09:53 CEST 2005

On Friday, May 27, 2005, at 03:33PM, Kent Quirk <kquirk at solidworks.com> wrote:

>I can't find where you said that extensions shouldn't be linking to
>Python at all. I also can't understand how this could be the case, at
>least if we're building the extensions using Boost.Python (which we
>are).

The quick summary: if you link against python you're extension will work with just the variant of python that you linked against. If you do not link against python (as distutils does with current version of python) you can use extensions with multiple variants of python (/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework, /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework,/opt/local/bin/python, ...) as long as they have the same major relase.

This is very important on Panther because /System/Library/Python.framework and /Library/Python.framework (2.3.0 vs. 2.3.5) share the same site-packages directory.

This is explained somewhere on the pythonmac mailinglist. Look for 'Why do I need PantherPythonFix'.

Ronald