[Pythonmac-SIG] making a C extension compatible across OS versions?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu May 26 23:34:48 CEST 2005

On May 26, 2005, at 2:17 PM, has wrote:

> Bob wrote:
>

>>> ImportError: Failure linking new module: /usr/lib/libmx.A.dylib:
>>> dyld: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Resources/
>>> Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python can't open library: /usr/lib/
>>> libmx.A.dylib  (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
>>>
>>> Any ideas? (Source and binary are at <http://freespace.virgin.net/
>>> hamish.sanderson/osat.dmg.gz> if it's any help.)
>>>

>> Well that error is solvable, but Tiger's python links extensions
>> with a linker flag that Jaguar does not understand -- so, it's
>> time to give up.
>>

> Not a big problem; don't supply Jaguar binaries as it is. More
> interested in Panther/Tiger portability. (I don't have a copy of
> Panther to test on myself.) Will extensions built on 10.4 work on
> 10.3, or will I have to create separate OS-specific binaries for
> those as well?

Maybe, it depends.

You really should be building packages on the least common
denominator, you have to test there anyway.  It's hard to do right,
Xcode is the only environment that can properly manage SDKs and such,
Apple didn't really put that functionality anywhere else, and
autoconf REALLY gets in the way (i.e. ./configure).