[Pythonmac-SIG] Python Metadata Importer

Jonathan Wight jwight_lists at toxicsoftware.com
Thu May 26 14:44:45 CEST 2005

On May 26, 2005, at 00:38, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On May 25, 2005, at 9:13 PM, Jonathan Wight wrote:
>

>> Just to let everyone know that my Python Metadata Importer plug-in
>> was released the other day.
>>
>>      http://toxicsoftware.com/blog/index.php/weblog/
>> python_metadata_importer_101_released/
>>

> You could throw away like 95% of that code if you had just used
> PyObjC to implement CMetadataImporter...  I guess I should just
> write the code and prove it.

Yes I'm sure you could.

I posted why I didn't use PyObjC in a previous post.

When I started the project PyObjC wasn't yet officially released for
10.4, also I didn't think either making PyObjC a requirement or
bundling a portion of it with my importer was particularly useful.

> Also, I have seen that the compiler module is orders of magnitude
> slower than the parser module and will die various deaths if you
> give it really large sources, so I would recommend moving away from
> it (even though it's far easier to use).

Indexing all the Python files on my system doesn't seem any slower
with the current code over the previous code which just used the
parser module (and only used it to find function & class names). It's
hard to measure accurately because all the indexing is occurring in
the background spotlight daemons - and I don't know what else
Spotlight is doing at that time. I'm not overly worried about
performance at this point - and so far it hasn't had trouble with any
Python file I've thrown at it (including among other things PyObjC).

     Jon.