[Pythonmac-SIG] Note that the 2.4 installer doesn't install pydoc into /usr/local/bin

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue May 24 05:42:24 CEST 2005

On May 23, 2005, at 8:33 PM, Kenneth McDonald wrote:

> This one caused me a bit of confusion, and I thought I'd mention it so
> that others would not about it if it bit them. Basically, I installed
> 2.4 and xattr. However, 'pydoc xattr' couldn't document the xattr
> module, even though python could load it. I finally figured out that
> the 2.4 version of pydoc wasn't in /usr/local/bin, meaning the version
> in /usr/bin was being used, and it wasn't looking at the things
> installed under 2.4

Yeah, the framework package is a little funny about what and how it
installs out-of-framework conveniences.

Fortunately python 2.4 has another way to do it:

% python -m pydoc xattr

<http://www.python.org/2.4/highlights.html>

"""
The -m command line option - python -m modulename will find a module
in the standard library, and invoke it. For example, python -m pdb is
equivalent to python /usr/lib/python2.4/pdb.py
"""