[Pythonmac-SIG] numarray 1.1.1 w/ vecLib (Apple's optimized implementation of BLAS)

Andrew Jaffe a.h.jaffe at gmail.com
Sun May 22 18:34:30 CEST 2005

Hi Bob (&c)-

> >> Any chance of an updated package for numarray 1.3.1? (Or just hints on
> >> fixing the installer which doesn't quite pick up veclib correctly, I
> >> think!)?
> >
> > Unfortunately I'm out of town (in SF/Berkeley rather than NYC) for
> > about a month and don't have good access to a Panther machine (I only
> > brought my laptop, which runs Tiger).

Out of curiosity (since I'll upgrade to Tiger soon), why does this matter?

> However, it seems that there are some bugs in the script, but you've
> inspired me to hunt for them.
>
> First, the section of addons.py that checks for the existence of the
> framework (around line 47) needs to set lapack_dirs = [], I think,
> since it needs to exist later on.
>
> Second, the section after that that sets lapack_compile_args,
> lapack_link_args and lapack_include_dirs for *all* cases (lines 57-60)
> overwrites lapack_link_args from the if...elif...else above.
>
> Finally, cblas.h isn't included correctly, since the framework option
> is only used for linking, not compiling.
>
> The overall solution to this was actually to reorder the sections and
> make some changes to the part that checks for veclib

> Feel free to use this if you do package it up. Is there any easy way to
> pass this on to the numarray people?

I've hard from Chris Barker that I should post to numpy-discussion,
which I will do unless I get any negative feedback here. (I've
actually made a patchfile, attached.)

Andrew

Andrew Jaffe
Astrophysics Group                                    +44 207 594-7526
Blackett Laboratory, Room 1013                    FAX             7541
Imperial College, Prince Consort Road
London SW7 2AZ ENGLAND              http://astro.imperial.ac.uk/~jaffe